Volunteer & Internship Opportunities
Volunteers and interns are essential to the success of the Rochester Museum & Science Center.
Volunteers and interns are essential to the success of the Rochester Museum & Science Center. The involvement of hundreds of talented, committed individuals greatly extends the range, quality, and variety of RMSC experiences. We need volunteers in a variety of areas throughout the Museum.
Our volunteers are guided by the principles of engagement, innovation, passion, and excellence. Volunteers place a focus on the visitor, create a welcoming environment, and help make the connection between exhibit content and the world around us.
Corporate Volunteer Opportunities
- Groups of co-workers volunteer for special exhibits or projects
Cumming Nature Center (Naples, NY)
- Visitor Welcome Team
- Environmental Educators
Docent Program (September – June)
- Volunteers trained in science, technology, the natural environment, and cultural heritage lead school-aged children on tours throughout the exhibit galleries
- Must be available on Mondays to participate in training sessions
Education Department (“Ask It” Volunteers)
- Assist in the delivery of programming
- Help maintain exhibits
- Interact and engage with visitors and groups
- Skilled photographer/videographer for marketing/promotions
Summer Fun Camp (July – August)
- Energetic and enthusiastic volunteers assist in camp classrooms and on field trips with projects, supplies, and science experiments
Technical Advisory Group (TAG)
- Design and construct interactive exhibits with a group of experienced designers (meets Tuesday mornings)
- Plan and execute events and fundraising activities
- Volunteer positions for special events and/or special projects
While these internships are non-paid, they may be used for credit. If you intend to use your placement for credit, please make arrangements with the on-site advisor and complete the required paperwork before you begin your internship.
- Marketing volunteers in graphic design, public relations, research, copywriting, photography, social media, and other communications
- Development volunteers in fundraising, event coordination, and administrative support
Inventor Center Engager
- Help facilitate visitor engagement in “maker space” exhibit where visitors invent solutions to a given challenge
- Encourage the invention process, explain science content, and answer questions
- Background in education, mechanical engineering, physics, or museum studies is preferred
Collections Database Consolidation Project
- Records intern: Reconcile catalog and accession records
- Data entry intern: Enter donor/vendor cards into collections management database
- Digitization intern: Scan primary file records, edit digital files, and link digital files
- Inventor Center Exhibit: Audio/visual production — design and produce multimedia content
- Exhibit development: Project design and build exhibit components to prototype with visitors
- Exhibit design: Including graphic design, installation, maintenance, illustrations, and model making
- Shadows Volunteer Coordinator and assists with daily tasks involving data entry, letter writing, newsletter and social media updates, volunteer orientation, and recognition events
Q. What is the time commitment required to be a volunteer?
A. Time commitments vary for each department. “Ask It” volunteers require a commitment of 40 hours within 5 months.
Q. How old do I have to be to volunteer?
A. Summer Fun camp volunteers must be at least 14 years old by June 1. Other volunteers must be 15 or older.
All volunteers must successfully complete an application and attend a volunteer orientation. Volunteers 18 and older must authorize a criminal background check.
The next volunteer orientations are offered from noon to 2 p.m. on the following Saturdays:
Future dates coming soon!
RSVP for the Volunteer Orientation you wish to attend by contacting Liz Albertorio-Saez, information below.
Rochester Museum & Science Center
Liz Albertorio-Saez, Volunteer Coordinator
657 East Avenue
Rochester, NY 14607