Welcome to the Strasenburgh Planetarium
We invite you to journey across the universe at the RMSC Strasenburgh Planetarium. Via giant-screen films, star shows, and laser shows, you’ll travel to far-away places and discover fascinating news from deep space. Lose yourself in an exciting virtual environment to places where time, space, and size have new meanings. Under our four-story dome, explore the starry night sky and immerse yourself in the latest scientific explorations.
Since opening in 1968, the Strasenburgh Planetarium has provided unique experiences and enhanced perceptions of the wonders of the universe.
Our public presentations include star shows, giant-screen films, and laser light shows.
- Star shows feature the mighty star projector along with an advanced wide-screen, high-resolution video system.
- Giant-screen films projected on our four-story dome take you on journeys of exploration all over the world.
- Saturday Night Laser Shows set classic rock music to choreographed beams of dazzling laser light, crisscrossing the Planetarium’s indoor sky.
- With assistance from volunteers from the Astronomy Section of the Rochester Academy of Science, free public telescope viewing is offered on Saturday evenings (weather permitting).
- The Challenger Learning Center, a service of Monroe #1 BOCES, offers high-tech, hands-on space mission simulations to school groups and the public.
Click here for the show schedule.
Planning a class visit? Inspiring, grade-appropriate, standards-connected programs are available. Click here for helpful information!
Use the links below to explore everything from our mighty star projector to the fascinating bronze sculpture at the our East Avenue entrance.
- The Star Projector (a.k.a. “Carl”)
- Somaini sculpture
- Challenger Center
- Star Theater
- Telescope viewing
- Recommended websites
Click here for details on our hours, admissions, and directions.