Welcome Homeschool Families!
Did you know we offer you, as a homeschool educator, two ways to take advantage of educational programs for your children?
1. Enroll as a group of homeschool families in any of our current school offerings
Click Here for more information on how to make RMSC school programs work for you.
Click Here for a flyer to share with other interested families. (Coming soon.)
2. Enroll individually in RMSC programs offered exclusively for Homeschoolers:
These classes include staff-facilitated experiences designed exclusively for homeschool students using inquiry-based learning and critical-thinking.
To make a reservation, call 585.697.1942. Pre-registration is required. All programs require a minimum enrollment. If the minimum is not met two weeks prior to the scheduled start date, the program will be cancelled. There is no member discount for homeschool programs. Please arrive 15 minutes early to check-in.
Planetarium Classes Exclusively for Homeschoolers
Recommended for ages around 12 to 15.
For the third consecutive year, Strasenburgh Planetarium offers astronomy courses for homeschool teens on Wednesday mornings in the fall. A three-week course begins Sept. 10, then a ten-week course begins Oct. 1.
At Home Under the Autumn Sky
3 Wednesdays, Sept. 10 through 24
Astronomy for Teens: Moons, Planets, Stars
10 Wednesdays, Oct. 1 through Dec. 10 except for Nov. 26
Click Here for Details
Please share with interested parents!
Guided Exhibit Explorations Exclusively for Homeschoolers
Recommended for grades preK-8
Note: Pre-scheduled programs will not be offered for the 2014-2015 School Year. However, you may still sign up individually or as a group for any of these by scheduling your own. Click Here.
Please check back for information on Guided Exhibit Explorations Homeschool Programs for the 2015-2016 School Year.
How to enroll as a group of homeschool families in any of our other current school offerings:
Here's how to make our current school offerings work for your homeschool family...
1. You will need a group of families with enough children, depending on the program type. As a general guideline you will need for...
At the Museum and/or Strasenburgh Planetarium:
2. Click Here for an overview of types of programs and costs. You can also click on the links in the left margin for further help with planning.
3. To search specific programs by topic or grade level (use your judgment based on the age of your child) click on PROGRAM FINDER.
4. You can also ask to have a School and Teacher Program Guide mailed to you or Click Here to download and print it.
4. Once your group has decided on a program or group of programs, have in mind several dates that will work for your group.
5. Call our Member and Visitors Services Group for more information and to book your program: 585.697.1942.
Supporting Curriculum: A rich set of curriculum materials for your use.
How to Lead a Homeschool Field Trip: 5 Rules That Will Make Your Visit Fun for Everyone, By Kathy Ceceri (Note: these suggestions are not specific to the RMSC, but for your general use, with links to other resources about field trips.)
Kids Out and About: Rochester's On-Line Resource for Kids and Families
If you have suggestions of resouces to add, please contact Deborah Massey at email@example.com.